Certain toys make me feel super nostalgic. A laser tag set is one of them. I remember my brother and I got Lazer Tag for Christmas one year. We had endless amounts of fun playing in the basement. Since then, laser tag sets have definitely advanced and improved. This article will review some of the best laser tag sets for kids available on the market today in 2017.
Best Laser Tag Set Reviews 2017
In our overview we’ll be discussing the following laser tag sets for kids.
If you have a ton of kids or want to be the coolest mom or dad on the block, then get the Dynasty Toys Laser Tag Set.
Because the lasers exceed 120 feet you can play this in a large room or even outdoors which makes this a very versatile laser tag set compared to others. I really like the different blasting modes which differ in damage and range. I also like the fact that there are different competition modes.
These blasters take 4 AA batteries. And the blasters come in a cool carrying case which makes toting these around a breeze.
Want even more fun, check out the Dynasty Toys 4 Pack. These are just like the 2 pack but have additional team settings so instead of the 2 team selector colors in the 2 pack you have 4. This is a great option if you have more than just two kids interested in playing.
This two-pack laser tag set is perfect for the new and established laser tag fan. When you’re playing with you friends (or foes) hits are registered with lights, sound, and vibration. All hits and ammo are registered on the blasters themselves. You’ll be able to see how many hits you have left at any given time.
What I really like about this laser tag set is the reload feature. Your ammunition isn’t unlimited so you can’t just sit and shoot all day long hoping to hit your opponent. When you are out you’ll need to hit a level which ejects an magazine style club that you need to push back in. It’s a pretty neat feature that other taggers lack.
These blasters require 6 AAA batteries each.
If you have little kids, under the age of 6, you may want to consider the Discovery Kids Spaceship Laser Tag Set over some of the other more feature-heavy options.
These taggers feature sound and vibration when fired. Many felt the setup was a bit difficult but once completed, provide hours of fun.
The Discovery Kids Spaceship Laser Tag Set is one of the more affordable options. Some felt that these taggers were lesser quality so if you’re looking for something to last a lifetime you may want to look elsewhere.
This set requires 6 AAA batteries each.
Why you should consider getting your kid a laser tag set
I’m sure you’re thinking why your kid needs a laser tag set. Now if my compelling story above didn’t sell you, here are some great reasons why kids will love a laser tag set and you will too.
- Collaborative – When you’re playing in teams, it gives kids the chance to collaborate and communicate with their peers.
- Strategic thinking – Planning a laser tag attack takes time, patience, strategy, and wits. Think of it like a game of chess.
- Fine motor – Tagging your opponents take fine motor skills to aim and fire.
- Active play – Laser tag really isn’t for the lazy. This game will keep your kids active.
- FUN! – Seriously I cannot stress how fondly I remember my Lazer Tag game.
What to look for in a laser tag set for kids
When you’re picking out your laser tag set, keep these few things in mind.
- Ease of use – If you’re buying this for smaller children, keep the ease of use in mind. Smaller kids will have issues holding larger guns.
- Battery requirements – The last thing you want to do is buy an really nice laser tag set and then need to by 3000 batteries for it. Check the requirements.
- Laser range – If you’re looking to play in a large space, you’ll need to keep laser range in mind.
If your kid is begging for a laser tag set one of the above will be a great option. You’ll find laser tag keeps kids active while being a ton of fun.
image from flickr – by Sion Bourne, modified