During our summer vacation this year I brought my DoodlePro with us. My 2.5 year old daugher and my 18 month old nephew had a great time drawing on it. I love the DoodlePro but for prewriting activities and writing practice I know I want to get an LCD drawing tablet. These tablets mimic writing on paper without the waste. Also, my toddler tends to draw on everything so it will keep my house cleaner too. Here are some of the best LCD drawing tablets on the market for kids.Benefits of an LCD Drawing Tablet
Why Consider an LCD Drawing Tablet For Kids
LCD Drawing Tablets are great for prewriting and writing skills as well as your budget. I know our house goes through a few reams of paper and dozens of notebooks each year just from drawing. Having a drawing tablet can help cut down on excess waste since these tablets can be used over and over with almost the same end result.
On the educational side, when children engage in drawing or writing they are using muscles that are important for fine motor development. Building the muscles in the hands are essential for important tasks such as writing and dressing oneself.
Lastly, they’re just plain fun. Just like the DoodlePro during vacation, an LCD drawing tablet can provide endless entertainment (think hangman and tic-tac-toe) and educational experiences. Use them for practicing letters, doing math problems, or just some cool drawings.
LCD Drawing Tablet Options
Boogie Board Play & Trace LCD eWriter
The Play & Trace LCD drawing tablet is different than most since it’s see-through. This means it’s perfect for tracing. You can place anything you want underneath and trace away! The board is shaped like an artist’s palette which makes it easy to hold.
- Since the board is transparent you can trace anything and anything resulting in endless hours of fun.
- Free activity app allows for tracing games
- The screen is very dim so you may have issues seeing what you traced.
Boogie Board 8.5 inch LCD Writing Tablet
- Ultra light and ultra thin, it’s easy to carry anywhere
- The battery is not replaceable in this model so if it dies, the board needs to be replaced.
iQbe Kids and Business Writing Tablet
- The 12 inch size makes this perfect for larger drawings or note taking while still being portable.
- The battery is replaceable.
- Users found the display dimmer than the Boogie Board.
We hope you were able to determine the best LCD drawing tablet for you or your family. I plan on putting together some great activities to use with the tablet and can’t wait to give one to my daughter on Christmas this year. Let me know what you use your LCD drawing tablet for in the comments below!
Image from flickr, by MIKI Yoshihito, modified