There are many, many things I just didn’t understand before I had kids. Train tables were one of those things. But as I see my daughter get older and more engaged with certain toys, I realize that a train table for toddlers can be a wonderful item to have in the house to stimulate the imagination for hours. If you’re kids are obsessed with all things trains then you’ll want to read the below options for the best train table for toddlers available in 2017.
Things to consider when picking out a train table
While it’s easy to just go online and pick out certain items, there are some things you’ll want to think about before purchasing your new train table.
- Size – you’ll want to figure out where you’ll put your train table before purchasing one. Some tables are quite large so measure well and make sure to write the measurements down. If buying online, ensure the dimensions are the table dimensions, not the shipping package dimensions.
- Storage – If you have a lot of trains and tracks, you may want to look for a table that has built in storage. This will make setup and clean up much easier.
- Materials – Some may like the idea of a wooden table over a plastic table. This is all personal preference but one that should be considered when picking out your train table.
- Accessories – Some train tables may come with a train set. If you’re just starting out with trains, you’ll want to find a great train table with a train set included.
Options for the Best Train Table for Toddlers for 2017
The tables we’ll be reviewing are some of the best train tables in 2017:
The Melissa & Doug Wooden Multi-Activity Table is a great table to use for a multitude of activities. The double sided top measures 50-inch-by-32-½ inches which gives kids more than enough space to spread out and get creative! The top is divided into two plates, one with a green side and one with an unfinished side.
Size: 16 x 50 x 32.5 inches
The KidKraft Lego Compatible 2 in 1 table is both train table and Lego table. The top flips over with one side containing Lego type building mat while the other contains a town scene perfect for your train set. This table includes some great accessories – 200 Lego compatible blocks and a 30 piece train set.
Size: This set is on the smaller side so it’s perfect if you have less space. It sits at 25 x 23 x 17 inches.
Storage: Yes, you can lift up the top and store items underneath.
Accessories: Yes. 200 Lego compatible blocks, 30 train tracks and a 3 piece train set.
A deep train sets the Step2 Deluxe Canyon Road Train & Track Table apart from the others. The table has a hard lid which allows this table to quickly convert to an all purpose activity table.
Size: 47.2 x 27 x 6.3 inches
Storage: Yes, use the deep inset to store you trains
Accessories: 3 piece train set
KidKraft has a lot of train tables and activity tables on the market. The KidKraft Waterfall Mountain table is one of the most popular of their offerings. This table comes with an extensive accessory set including trains, tracks, people, trees, and more to create an entire town on this train table.
Size: 48.75″L x 34.5″W x 16″H
Storage: Yes, there are 3 storage bins that slide from underneath the table
Material: Composite wood table
Accessories: Yes, 120 piece set
The CP Toys Wooden Train Table comes with an extensive track set that’s will provide tons of enjoyment for you little ones. Kids can store extra trains in one of the four bins found below the table base.
Size: 45 1/4″ L. x 33 1/8″ W. x 16″ H.
Storage: Yes, bins on either side of the table
Accessories: Yes, 100 piece track and accessory set
Why are train tables good for childhood development?
When it comes to toys, we sometimes view them only as playthings without value beyond a “good time”. But there are many toys, like a train set and train table, that are more beneficial to kids than meets the eye. There are many developmental benefits of train sets and train tables.
- Problem solving – train sets can be seen as a rudimentary puzzle. When putting together the tracks, kids need to figure out where each piece should go to ensure the track comes together and stays on the table.
- Social skills – when playing in a group, kids learn to share as well as interact with each other as they all play with the table.
- Pretend play – kids act out different scenarios through their train sets and pretending is an extremely important part of childhood development.
You can’t really go wrong with any of the above, but we recommend the KidKraft Waterfall Mountain if you’re just looking for a train table. If you want a dual purpose table, the Melissa & Doug Activity Table is your best bet. There are many options when searching for the best train table for your family so we hope this helped you narrow it down.
Image from flickr by woodleywonderworks, modified